How my railroad interests moved from the Pacific Northwest to Southern New South Wales .....with a stop over in Southern California


Sunday, February 14, 2010

It's a Winter Wonderland!.....in Texas???!!!

The TV weather forecasters had been predicting our second "winter weather event" of the year for a couple of days.  One to three inches of snow or mixed snow and rain.  


It started snowing around 0400 on Thursday. By the time Emily was ready to go to work around 7, it was still coming down, and we decided I since I was on days off,  that we could go out for breakfast and I could drop her off and pick her up in the evening when she finished.  


By the time we were done eating, it was looking a bit worse so she decided just to stop by work, get her laptop and work from home.   Good decision.


Here is the main street of our subdivision about 5 hours after the snow started:



By afternoon, there was so much snow that Emily got the car stuck in our driveway trying to leave.  45 minutes later, the car was safely tucked back into the garage, where it would remain for another 24 hours.

It snowed for 18 hours and dropped around 14" at our house, and set all time snowfall records for the area.  I spent 3 hours shoveling the sidewalks and driveway Thursday afternoon,  only to have 4 more inches fall overnight.


Luckily, in spite of the "quality" of Texas home construction....the roof stayed up and didn't leak.  Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said for the Texas Live Oak trees.  We lost some good portions of many of the trees around the property.  Something for me to work on when the snow melts away.  The trees on the right in this photo suffered pretty significant damage.


Blog required Model Railway content:  I installed 13 more Blue Point turnout throws this past week.

Oh.....and we're sick of being in the "frozen North"...next week we're heading south to Mexico (the real one) and spend a few days on the beach!



1 comment:

  1. For a second there Lance I thought you were bound for Melbourne!!
    I received your 'despatch' the other day, thank you very much. Has pride of place near the work bench.
    Have set myself a goal (which I hope doesn't turn around and bite me!)to hang it in 'the cave' before it expires! That is, of course, if it ever stops raining long enough for me to build the thing. Still, a bit of snow might not be bad either!!??

    ReplyDelete